Want to get into trail running but don’t know where to start? Below is a comprehensive list of clubs who would be glad to have you join them. Some groups are free while others offer more structured runs and coaching. With the booming Queensland trail running scene, now is the time to get those shoes dirty!
- Brisbane Trail Runners do night runs & week-end trail runs all over Brisbane. Main runs at Mt Coot-tha. Facebook
- Bunyaville Trail Runners Social run every Wed night from 5.30pm. Speed/hill work Tues 5:30pm. Website – here Facebook –here.
- Bunya Belles – an all ladies run group who enjoy the trails in Bunyaville Conservation Park – facebook page here
- South Pine Striders – is a runner’s & walkers club based in Eatons Hill and the wider Pine Rivers area. They run the trails at Bullockys Rest.
- Wild Runners – offer trail run coaching and training on Brisbane’s trails and on-line. Facebook and website.
- Brookfield Runners – The Brookfield Runners have been running, walking and cycling through the foothills of Mt Coot-tha for more than 30 years. Their facebook page here.
- Trailblazers Run Coaching – Bunyaville website Need some specific run coaching? check TRC out.
- Caboolture Road Runners hold trail runs on week-ends. Website here They run over many Glasshouse Trail Runs courses.
- Brisbane River City Runners run in Toohey Forest every Saturday from 6am. Once a month they have a great post-run breakfast. Call them before you show up, in case they’re away at a special event.
- Sherwood Forest Run happens 7am sharp every Saturday from Jolimont St. You might even meet someone famous at this one.
- Springfield Runners Group – Running around the Karawatha Forest Sprindfield area – facebook
- Mountain Goat Trail Runners – run Mt Coot-tha every Wed night – facebook
- Upper Kedron Trail Runners – regular social runs on the doorstep to Camp Mountain & Mt Nebo – facebook
- Gold Coast Trail Runners – Free weekly Tuesday morning & regular Sunday trail runs.
- Trail Chix – Gold Coast website
- Toowoomba Trail Runners – facebook page here
Full list of running clubs can be found here.
- Dynamic Running – group training for runners in the Cairns area. We are based in Edge Hill, and we also offer clinics at selected venues around the region. Website
- Cairns Road Runners – Road Running and Racing; Track Running; Trail Running; Fun Runs; Social Events. And training too – website
Ladies only training
Ipswich & District Radio Club Inc.
Ipswich & District Radio Club Inc. WICEN Group (Ipswich WICEN) is seen as a community service section of the Amateur Radio hobby in South East Queensland. Ipswich WICEN provides a group of trained, Licenced Amateur Radio Operators (often referred to as HAM RADIO), who volunteer to assist in emergency situations and are also able to provide emergency and safety communications when normal communications do not exist or are inadequate.
The group has at its disposal, extensive bandwidth (channels) including a wider variety of frequencies than any Public Safety Agency, with the exception of the Military. As such, Ipswich WICEN can often provide communication links between various locations whose situation/distance/geographic location etc., precludes the use of the communications equipment normally utilised by many of these Agencies.
Ipswich WICEN conducts many exercises throughout the year by providing communications support and safety net communications for community events including Fun Runs, Trail Runs, Endurance Horse Rides, Cycle Rides and Car Rallies. Aside from the immediate public service rendered by the communications being provided, they also serve to train operators in message handling and passing procedures, and setting up of portable radio stations especially in the field and in all weathers.
These exercises also give Ipswich WICEN, and the Wireless Institute of Australia, (and Amateur Radio in general) much needed public relations exposure. Some of these events are unable to be conducted without the safety net communications offered by Ipswich WICEN. Similar activities are also supported by WICEN operators in all States of Australia.
All WICEN operators are all volunteers and as such the members all provide their own self-funded radio equipment, transportation, accommodation, and freely give up their time for the benefit of the community. Legislation precludes Amateur Radio Operators from charging for their services, relying solely on donations for their services and equipment maintenance.
Helping at events is also a great way to give something back. More helpers mean more events. If you can help out at any event please complete the form below. TRAQ Volunteer Membership (i.e. no race participation) is free. Most jobs are easy and give you a good way to get to know your fellow runners better too – some volunteer jobs, like course marking or demarking, still afford you the opportunity to run on the day.